Recipe type: Meat
A West African dish popular in our family on Christmas Eve.
- 2 lbs lean beef (I use sirloin roast)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¾ tsp cayenne
- 3-4 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large dutch oven, fry beef and onion in hot oil. (Best to do it in batches, you may need to spoon off excess liquid.) Remove ⅔ of the beef and set to the side. Push the beef in the pot to the outsides to form a well.
- Add seasonings and peanut butter to the centre and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- You are ready to move to the next step when the smell changes from 'peanut butter' to 'roasted peanuts'.
- Now add back the remainder of the beef and combine.
- Add the tomato paste and flour. Combine together.
- Add beef broth, salt and paper.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Add bayleaf and simmer 2 hours.
- Serves 4.