Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
Author: Laura Keogh
Recipe type: Appetiser
Cuisine: North American
Tomato Soup from scratch
- 8 plum tomatoes, halved
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup (125 mL) sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh rosemary), chopped
- 4 cups (1L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes and whole cloves of garlic with olive oil, then add
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer into a large baking dish. Roast tomatoes for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove dish from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Melt 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and rosemary and saute until onion is translucent
- Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree.
- Return soup to the saucepan set over low heat. In a small frying pan, melt remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of butter over low heat. Add flour and whisk continuously until blended to make roux.
- Add roux to the soup, combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 3 more minutes.
Calories: 168 Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 14g Sodium: 560mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 2g